Sleepless in New York IIII

EN

In 2019 I went to New York for the 3rd time in my life and each time I visit NY it keeps better and better. Like experiencing a power outage in Manhattan.
NL

In 2019 ging ik voor de 3e keer in mijn leven naar New York en elke keer dat ik NY bezoek, wordt het steeds beter. Zoals een  stroomuitval ervaren in Manhattan.
Manhattan
Eyes open, eyes closed I can always find small and big detail around Manhattan.
nutmeg/nootmuskaat
Did you know that the whole NYC city was traded by the Dutch (Holland!) to the English for nutmeg in somewhere 1600? If we would know the New York of today I wonder if we would still trade it for spice?
Spotting doggo`s in backpacks are fun and sweet. I want to pet them so badly but I`m afraid the owner wouldn`t like it which I totally understand or the dog would bite me. Which I also understand. Anyways here I was in line for a bag of chips: Cheetos Flamin` Hot!
I`ve noticed the many Trump-souvenirs in NYC. In my country I have never seen anything of our prime-minister in the form of souvenirs in shops.
This was my first bag Cheetos Flamin` Hot ever in my life.
Strand Bookstore 🕮
I`ve found another gem of a bookstore in NYC: Strand Bookstore. A bookstore that I can wander and sniff around for hours.
Apparently Strand has over 2.5 million books in their inventory. Nice!
What I love about Strand? It`s a large independant multi-floored bookstore with not only books but also CD`s, vinyl records and cute souvenirs. Their book selection is huge and I love their vintage/rare/used books selection as well. They also have budget books placed in carts outside.
Dominique Ansel Bakery
Finally, ticking off a to-visit place: Dominique Ansel Bakery! Since the cronut (doughnut + croissant hybrid) was born at this place I -a true foodie that I am- just had to taste the one and only cronut. This place has been viral and I know in the back of mind this place might be overhyped and become a tourist attraction. A real New York resident wouldn`t fall for this touristy trap easily but I since I am a tourist afterall I feel like I`m allowed to.
no cronuts :(
I should have done my homework beforehand because apparently there`s a special timetable set for the cronuts. When my cousins and I arrived the cronuts were long gone. Bummer! Instead, we went for the Cookie Shot, another best-seller item at Dominique`s. I`m intrigued!
Of course there was a line. We have stood there for roughly 20-30 min? I`ve also learned that you can sit down and have lunch such as salads, sandwiches and quiches at the Dominique Ansels bakery.
No vegan option at the patisserie secion sadly. Alot of them has gelatine in them too.
Cookie Shot
At last the Cookie Shot! Ok, get your camera ready because the cookie shot will be a fast shooting too. The cookie is filled by order with Madagascan vanilla milk. Once the milk goes into the cookie, start making photo`s like a paparazzi! The cookie will absorb the milk and the whole thing will start to crumble and become soggy and you wont get that IG-picture perfect picture. A real camera eats first situation here.

taste: 3/5 (it`s a bit too sweet)
I came for the cronut but end up with a cookie shot. I`m not so sure if it was worth the long wait. The cookie shot itself was a fun experience and delicious though it was a bit too sweet. Basically, it was like dipping a chocolate chip cookie in milk. And because of that, the whole Dominique Ansel visit felt a bit undone.
Central Park
The perfectly rectangular piece of the park with trees, water, grass, and more woods. A true urban jungle within a concrete jungle.
Geocoaching
But I was here in Central Park on a mission! A geocoaching mission to be precise that a fun colleague has planned.
My colleague arrived in NYC a few days earlier than me and she thought it would be fun to leave a treasure behind for me to find it. My colleague left and hid the treasure for about 2-3 days ago somewhere in Central Park before I arrived in NYC. I was skeptical, it rained the day before and I was 90% sure I wouldn`t find it. Or the squirrels would have found it before me but still I put on a positive mood and went searching. And I have found it and it`s... a post card!
‘To eat!,
Ichiran USA ❤❤❤❤❤ 4∙⁵/5
For dinner we had Japanese food: ramen!
So according to my cousin S. Ichiran is one of the traditional eating places that you may find in Japan but it`s in New York city. And my cousin isn`t wrong! I have never been to Ichiran before not even when I was in Japan in 2018. But the whole interior, customer service (no tipping policy like Japan) and order form system make me feel I`m back in Tokyo.
RAMEN FOCUS BOOTH
It`s really called the ramen focus booth I kid you not. The main goal of creating these individual booths was to delete as many distractions and loud sounds in the restaurant. The ramen focus blocks it all so that you can fully focus on your meal in front of you: the ramen. Or other delicious dishes at Ichiran. Also no more awkward feeling when you want to dine out solo!
I`m very focused look at how mouth-watering this ramen looks like.
Open or walled, playing with the litte walls between us.
Delicious matcha pudding to end the meal.
Power Outage
july 13th '19

I was in UNIQLO when the power all of sudden went out and everything went completely black. Not long after we were shouted at by the store clerks telling us we should LEAVE the store. Kind of a rude gesture but I guess everyone was a bit confused by the power outage? I should have accidentally grabbed a shirt on my way out (kidding!). When we were outside we`ve learned that not only UNIQLO was having power outage trouble but basically almost whole Manhattan was out of electricity. Some parts of the metro didn`t work either and there were so many people on the street! There were cops and firefighters too.

To me, someone from a small village in the good `ol Holland felt like I was in the middle of a disaster movie. What the heck is going on? Was there a terrorist attack? A (zombie) apocalypse? We didn`t know. My cousin S. decided to walk all the way downtown hoping that the metro would work there. And it did and we made it all back home safe and sound with sore legs because we have walked 20 blocks. Wow what an adventure.
so tired..

Amongst the unknown of what cause the power outage, many of us witnessed the sunset.

❤ 

More New York travelpost this way please:

Comments

You might also like...

DIY: Mini Whip Cream

DIY: Crochet banana

DIY: Crochet Miniature Cinnamon Rolls