A week in San Francisco I

EN

I've been to the USA 2 times but only reside at the east coast of New York where my family lives. Last year summer 2019 when my cousin Sun and I went to visit our family in New York again we also planned a week in the west coast: San Francisco!

I've always wanted to see the west coast of the USA and especially San Fran. People in my circle who have been in SF are telling me great stuff about SF and it is not just about the Golden Gate Bridge (more about that in the next post). I also had Los Angeles in mind but that's for the other time and didn't go.
   
Since it was Sun's and myself first time being in SF we did what first time tourists did and that is seeing touristy hotspots. 
We booked an Airbnb and the host of our accommodation also showed us around SF, the real SF. More of this in the next coming posts!   
NL

Ik ben 2 keer naar USA geweest maar al die keren ben ik slechts alleen aan de oostkust van New York geweest waar al mijn familie woont. Vorige zomer 2019 gingen mijn neef Sun en ik weer op familiebezoek in New York en besloten dit keer ook naar de westkust te gaan: San Francisco! 

Ik heb de westkust van USA altijd al willen zien, vooral San Fran. Van mensen die ik ken en die in SF zijn geweest, vertellen vrijwel altijd positief over SF en de Golden Gate Bridge (meer van dit in de volgende post). Los Angeles had ik ook op mijn lijst staan maar deze bewaar ik voor de volgende keer en ben dus niet meer gegaan. 

Omdat het voor ons beide eerste keer in SF waren, deden we logischerwijs toeristisch dingen. Wel hebben we een Airbnb geboekt en de host daarvan nam ons mee rondom SF, de meer echte SF zeg maar. Meer van dit in de volgende post! 


❝tap
voor Nederlandse
vertaling!
On our real first day in San Fran my cousin S. and I started off with a caffeinated breakfast. We ordered an Uber from Oakland to east coast San Francisco.
Uber was our main transport during our stay in San Fran because it was so convenient. We also used the public transport Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) but Uber was just so so convenient! Though because of our daily use of Uber, the total cost was pretty high. The next time revisiting SF I`ll be definitely using the BART more often.
Philz Coffee ♥♥♥♥♥ 5/5
Chai, ice coffee and baklava at coffee chain Philz Coffee. I was happily surprised of how chill and friendly the Philz Coffee staff were. I was even more happily surprised when the Philz Coffee staff insist that the baklava treats were on the house after they found out that me and my cousin were first timers at SF and that we are from The Netherlands. Points for SF and Philz Coffee so far!
TRAM
Of course we had to ride the illustrious cable car of San Fran. Only 7 bucks single ride.
And of course hiking on the inevitable hills of San Francisco. Some were really a workouts for your legs and lung capacity.
Russian Hill Bookstore
We arrived at a bookstore and it was a nice one.
A little Vietnamese food stop before we head to the coastline. Here I was writing postcards to my friends in Holland ⮟.
At one of our many hill hikes we spotted the infamous Alcatraz Island. I had plans to visit this place but have decided at the end to not go there anymore. I felt like spotting this old jail from this point was good enough for me already. #noregrets
Gorgeous buildings!
Pier 39
Pier 39 is a one big touristy place where you can eat seafood, spot the Golden Gate Bridge from a distance, shop and many more. My cousin and I only did these 3 named activities though. I was also a bit bummed out that the weather changed from sunny to a bit dreary weather.
Hey Alcatraz we meet again.

Apparently there`s a `The Room Movie` film tour here in SF. You`re tearing me apart.
Boudin Bakery Café 🎔🎔🎔🎔🎔 4/5
I saw this Boudin sign from a far and knew I had to visit and eat at this place and I don`t care how crowded it looked because one: it`s a bakery (speciality in sourdough) and two they serve seafood - one of my favourite foods combined together.
We ordered
1 batch raw oysers
2 Clam Chowder
1 portion fries
Guys this was my first bowl of clam chowder in my life ever and it was SO GOOD! I love the sourdough bread bowl that goes with it and this meal warmed my entire body up. My cousin S. craved for raw oysters. I never liked raw oysters but gave it a go anyways. Hoping that these oysters from SF makes a different? Sadly not. I still don`t like oysters.
So Boudin Bakery is famous for their sourdough bread. The bread bowl from the clam chowder was also a sourdough and I liked it. Though I find it also a bit dry too. My cousin S. didn`t like the sour taste of it but that`s how sourdough taste like general.
唐人街/Chinatown
In San Francisco lies the oldest Chinatown (est. 1848) of North America and the biggest outside Asia making a great tourist attraction itself. Apparently it draws more visitors annually than the Golden Gate Bridge, like woot.
“Hurry hurry I need to buy Asian snacks!
We had Dunkin`s Donut in New York/East coast. We`re having Krispy Kreme in San Francisco/West coast. My usual donut picks are plain ones and/or with cinnamon sugar.
My cousin S. being a (teddy)bear.
“The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco ” - Not by Mark Twain but I agree with this quote. The summer in SF is sunny, chilly and foggy. Especially in the evening the temperature can drop to 10C! I didn`t bring a sweater and I got so cold that I end up buying a long sleeve top at Uniqlo.

Comments

You might also like...

DIY: Mini Whip Cream

DIY: Crochet banana

DIY: Crochet Miniature Cinnamon Rolls